[ntp:questions] How to insert a leap second with ntpq

Rob nomail at example.com
Thu Jun 21 09:31:06 UTC 2012

ZHOU.Jun <dimotion.zhou at gmail.com> wrote:
> 在 2012年6月21日星期四UTC+8下午2时32分31秒,Harlan Stenn写道:
>> Zhou Xiansheng,
>>
>> > I found that my ntp version is 3-5.93e which is before 4.2.6
>> > So I should use the method 6.14.2. NTP Versions before 4.2.6 right?
>>
>> 3-5.93e is *very* old for software:
>>
>>  http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/ReleaseTimeline
>>
>> It is NTP3 code, not NTP4.  Probably from the spring or summer of 1997.
>>
>> Is it difficult to upgrade to newer software?

> Yes, because this version is used by our costumers.
> I have to be  in line with  them.

Why do you worry about small issues like a leapsecond when you tolerate
your customers to use software as old as that?  First things first!

You know what?  At the leapsecond time, everything will shake a bit
but within an hour or so everyone again agrees what the correct time
is and all servers are synced again.

We know that from previous experience.