[ntp:questions] Leap second preparedness

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Jun 30 05:35:13 UTC 2012

If your ntpd is relying upon other NTP servers (that is, is stratum 2
or higher), it will not announce the pending leap second starting
exactly at midnight UTC in a few minutes, but should within a few
polling intervals.  With the default maximum interval of 1024 seconds
being about 17 minutes, by 00:34 30-June UTC most systems should have
picked it up that will.

Cheers,
Dave Hart

If it helps at all, I have a small Windows program called NTPLeapTrace.  It
displays the upstream leap indications contributing to a target ntpd's leap
election.  Although the same can be done using a series of ntpq queries,
it's easier to enter a server or client name and click.  Download here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/software/net.htm#NTPLeapTrace

I've just added a second screen-shot show the expected output under "Leap
Second Today" conditions.  I hope the program will be of some help.

Cheers,
David