[ntp:questions] semi OT - GPS receiver for BMW automobile on EBay

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Sat Mar 3 03:46:44 UTC 2012

On 3/2/2012 4:56 PM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> On 3/2/2012 9:55 AM, Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  From my previous threads you know I've been considering upgrading my
>> GPS receiver for NTPD. I found this GPS receiver module for BMW
>> automobiles. I wouldn't know what to do with it if I bought it, but I
>> thought it was interesting. There are a few of these on EBay, hopefully
>> not stolen. I think one of the ads mentioned the name Trimble.
>>
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-GPS-RECEIVER-NAVIGATION-MODULE-E38-740-750-E39-528-530-540-M5-E46-323-328-X5-/200699337078?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2eba9cd976
>>

>> Price for this one, $ 63 plus shipping.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Ron
>>

> Don't buy it!
>
> There are two kinds, at least, of GPS receivers.  The type you need
> is a GPS TIMING RECEIVER.  It's optimized to deliver accurate time.
>
> The other kind is a navigation receiver.  It is optimized for position.
>
> Both kinds know both the time and the the position, it's the
> presentation that counts.  A timing receiver will have Pulse Per
> Second (PPS) output with one edge of the pulse being within something
> like +/- fifty nano-seconds of the time written out in full.
>
> The navigation receiver outputs your current latitude, longitude, and
> elevation. Connect it to a computer with with the proper software and
> the computer will display a map with "You are here!" and an arrow symbol.
>
> With the proper software you may be able ask your computer "Where is
> the nearest hospital?" or "Where is the nearest Chinese restaurant?"

Hi Richard,

I wasn't going to buy that, but thanks for the tip anyway.  I wouldn't
know how to hook it up.  I guess I have to get it through my head that,
even with something like this which could be considered a premium
product, for BMW no less, it is still not designed for timing.  So, our
needs, for timing, are a niche subset of the GPS universe.  So, I have
to focus on timing GPS's.  Chris Albertson and one or more of the
David's on the list have been similarly advising me.  I think I'm
finally starting to get the picture.  I.E. - Think TIMING, and only TIMING.

We could make a chant - TI  MING ... TI  MING ... TI  MING.  The box
just looked really cool and industrial.  Seriously though, thanks for
the info.

Sincerely,

Ron