[ntp:questions] Purpose of a leap second file?

John Hasler jhasler at newsguy.com
Sun Mar 4 13:46:26 UTC 2012

David E. Ross writes:
> No, it is not a localization.

It localizes TAI to this particular planet.

> A leap-second file allows conversions between UTC and TAI.

Just as tzdata allows conversions between UTC and your local zone.  Thus
UTC is the Earth planetary zone as CST is my local zone within that
planetary zone.  While it is convenient to have solar noon occur at the
same time every day the planet is not a clock.
--
John Hasler
jhasler at newsguy.com
Dancing Horse Hill