[ntp:questions] Purpose of a leap second file?

David E. Ross nobody at nowhere.invalid
Sun Mar 4 22:21:53 UTC 2012

On 3/4/12 5:46 AM, John Hasler wrote:
> I wrote:
>> Thus UTC is just a kind of timezone-like localization and leap-seconds
>> belong in tzdata.
>
> David E. Ross writes:
>> No, it is not a localization.
>
> It localizes TAI to this particular planet.
>
>> A leap-second file allows conversions between UTC and TAI.
>
> Just as tzdata allows conversions between UTC and your local zone.  Thus
> UTC is the Earth planetary zone as CST is my local zone within that
> planetary zone.  While it is convenient to have solar noon occur at the
> same time every day the planet is not a clock.

I guess you are correct ... humorous but correct.  I am guilty of
earth-centric thinking.  Since earth is (to us) the only known planet
with sentient life forms, is being earth-centric wrong?

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Concerned about someone (e.g., the government)
snooping into your E-mail?  Use PGP.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>