[ntp:questions] almost decided which new PPS GPS to buy

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sun Mar 4 22:51:01 UTC 2012

Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some of you know from my prior threads that I've been debating what GPS
> to buy to upgrade from my USB based BU-353.  I think I've just about
> nailed it down, based on a number of conflicting factors.
>
> I'm getting + / - 6 ms accuracy now with the BU-353.  My goals for the
> new device are: 1 ms if using USB-serial interface, and 100 us if using
> a real serial interface.  One problem with the BU-353, is that it's
> average offset from the internet servers seems to wander around up to 60
> ms or so.  When that happens, NTPD sometimes marks my GPS as a
> falseticker.  ESR, the guy mentioned in another thread who wants to
> connect GPS to 100 routers, called this "wobble", and said it's related
> to the SIRF chipset.  I haven't done any other research to confirm that.

There is sawtooth error when you get to the nanosecond level
and some timing GPS can output a correction factor for this.

I suspect you mean the uncertainty in timing of the NMEA
outputs.

I have added a couple of extra parameters to my ntp.conf

/etc/ntp.conf:
#######
# mindist allows sources with large offsets
tos mindist 0.3

# mode 18 for the Sure
server  127.127.20.2 mode 18 prefer
# time2 to give offset around zero
fudge   127.127.20.2 time2 0.410 refid GPSb

server  127.127.22.2
fudge   127.127.22.2 flag2 0 flag3 1 refid PPSb

#######

With both ntp-4.2.6p3 and p5 I found that PPS had an "x"
flag rather than "o" when I used minpoll and maxpoll
although PPS was conditioning the clock and PPS offset
was around 0 usec.

David