[ntp:questions] almost decided which new PPS GPS to buy

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Mar 5 09:36:18 UTC 2012

"Ron Frazier (NTP)" <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote in message
news:4F53EEAF.9050704 at c3energy.com...
[]
> Interesting that you used a metal box.  I guess it doesn't matter since
> the antenna is external.  I think a clear lid might be cool to see the
> lights.

The blue LED is so bright you will want to hide it!  A metal box will
provide shielding, of course.

> I have three computers, all of which dual boot between some version of
> Windows and Ubuntu 11.04.  Two of those are laptops.  I also have an old
> Pentium 4 laptop which only runs Ubuntu.  (It makes a nice heater.  It's
> nickname in the industry is global thermonuclear reactor.)  I try to
> keep all of these 6 main configurations functionally equivalent.  I'd
> like to be able to plug a GPS into any one and have it work, with any
> OS.  Two of the three main PC's are laptops, with no real serial port.
> I started with the BU-353 on one particular laptop.  That unit has a
> built in Prolific serial - USB circuit.  I'm curious to see how the
> performance is using an external serial - USB chipset (which just
> happens to use the same chipset).  For the two laptops, USB is the only
> way into the machine.  Also, I may want to use the laptop for navigation
> some day.

For testing and experimenting I can appreciate your needs.

> Mainly curiosity.  I'm getting + / - 6 ms from a USB only device now.  I
> want to see what the max performance I can get with USB with handshaking
> is possible.  I think I can break the + / - 1 ms barrier.  Why do you
> climb Mount Everest - because it's there!  PS - I would never climb
> Mount Everest - I hate high places with steep cliffs and without walls -
> and I hate the cold.

You wouldn't have liked my recent holiday in Northern Norway in the
Winter!  I did enjoy the dry heat of Melbourne - +36°C +37°C +38°C on
three days.

> Thanks for the help.  I'm not the best with mechanical things, I'm
> better at electronic or software things.  However, I can work my way
> around a screwdriver, wrench, Dremel tool, and soldering iron if I have
> to.  If I can even find those tools, but that's another story.  I'm sure
> parts of this will be fun, and I'm sure the project will be interesting.
> I'll try to report back on my findings.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

My second Sure board is sitting in an anti-static bag, inside a thick
black bag to keep the blue LED from dazzling me.  I don't see any
performance difference between the boxed and the naked one.  Have fun!

Cheers,
David