[ntp:questions] almost decided which new PPS GPS to buy

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 5 15:40:14 UTC 2012

On 3/4/2012 5:51 PM, David Lord wrote:
> Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Some of you know from my prior threads that I've been debating what
>> GPS to buy to upgrade from my USB based BU-353.  I think I've just
>> about nailed it down, based on a number of conflicting factors.
>>
>> I'm getting + / - 6 ms accuracy now with the BU-353.  My goals for
>> the new device are: 1 ms if using USB-serial interface, and 100 us if
>> using a real serial interface.  One problem with the BU-353, is that
>> it's average offset from the internet servers seems to wander around
>> up to 60 ms or so.  When that happens, NTPD sometimes marks my GPS as
>> a falseticker.  ESR, the guy mentioned in another thread who wants to
>> connect GPS to 100 routers, called this "wobble", and said it's
>> related to the SIRF chipset.  I haven't done any other research to
>> confirm that.
>
> There is sawtooth error when you get to the nanosecond level
> and some timing GPS can output a correction factor for this.
>
> I suspect you mean the uncertainty in timing of the NMEA
> outputs.
>
> I have added a couple of extra parameters to my ntp.conf
>
> /etc/ntp.conf:
> #######
> # mindist allows sources with large offsets
> tos mindist 0.3
>
> # mode 18 for the Sure
> server  127.127.20.2 mode 18 prefer
> # time2 to give offset around zero
> fudge   127.127.20.2 time2 0.410 refid GPSb
>
> server  127.127.22.2
> fudge   127.127.22.2 flag2 0 flag3 1 refid PPSb
>
> #######
>
> With both ntp-4.2.6p3 and p5 I found that PPS had an "x"
> flag rather than "o" when I used minpoll and maxpoll
> although PPS was conditioning the clock and PPS offset
> was around 0 usec.
>

> David

Hi David L.,

Thanks for the info.

I'm already using fudge time 2 to correct the offset in the NMEA data
I'm getting on my USB GPS.

I looked up the data for mindist here
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6/miscopt.html .  I couldn't find a similar page
for NTP 4.2.7.  I'm assuming they're very similar.  I'm starting to
realize there is potentially a LOT to know to configure NTP beyond the
simple basic case.  The page said this:

quote on ->

mindist /mindistance/
    Specify the minimum distance used by the selection and anticlockhop
    algorithm. Larger values increase the tolerance for outliers;
    smaller values increase the selectivity. The default is .001 s. In
    some cases, such as reference clocks with high jitter and a PPS
    signal, it is useful to increase the value to insure the
    intersection interval is always nonempty.

< - quote off

I'm still not totally sure what it does, but it says it increases
tolerance for outliers and specifically mentions reference clocks and
pps, so I might try the default value you suggested

I couldn't find the data for flag2 and flag3, and I was wondering if
they're different for different drivers.

Sincerely,

Ron