[ntp:questions] almost decided which new PPS GPS to buy

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:30:35 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Ron Frazier (NTP)
<timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote:

> C) Get the unit working with NMEA data from the RS-232 port, going to a real
> serial port.  I have to tinker with the motherboard on another computer to
> do that.

You can buy a serial port adaptor card are that fits in a PCI slot.
But this assumes you have a desktop PC with a PCI slot.

The cards are cheap, they start at about $10.  I'm shopping for a four
port card and they are only a bit over $20.   Seems I'm collecting
serial devices.  I have two GPSes, a Motorola "Oncore" and a Trimble
"Thunderbolt".  The Rubidium oscillator needs rs-232 also and I just
finished a PitTic II.   (
http://www.ko4bb.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=precision_timing:picric )

I bought an Intel "Atom" powered motherboard.  This thing uses so
little power there is not cooling fan.   At my cost for power the 85$
computer will pay for itself in 2 years.  It was cheaper to spend the
$85 than to use some old free PC.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California