[ntp:questions] almost decided which new PPS GPS to buy

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 5 18:23:26 UTC 2012

On 3/5/2012 12:30 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Ron Frazier (NTP)
> <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com>  wrote:
>

>> C) Get the unit working with NMEA data from the RS-232 port, going to a real
>> serial port.  I have to tinker with the motherboard on another computer to
>> do that.
>>
> You can buy a serial port adaptor card are that fits in a PCI slot.
> But this assumes you have a desktop PC with a PCI slot.
>
> The cards are cheap, they start at about $10.  I'm shopping for a four
> port card and they are only a bit over $20.   Seems I'm collecting
> serial devices.  I have two GPSes, a Motorola "Oncore" and a Trimble
> "Thunderbolt".  The Rubidium oscillator needs rs-232 also and I just
> finished a PitTic II.   (
> http://www.ko4bb.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=precision_timing:picric )
>
> I bought an Intel "Atom" powered motherboard.  This thing uses so
> little power there is not cooling fan.   At my cost for power the 85$
> computer will pay for itself in 2 years.  It was cheaper to spend the
> $85 than to use some old free PC.
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

Hi Chris,

Only one of my PC's is a desktop with slots.  The others are laptops.
The desktop does have one serial port with a header on the motherboard.
I think I've about narrowed down the proper adapter to bring that out to
a DB-9 port on the rear panel.  I'm going to try that first.  Then, if I
need more ports, I might need to add a card like you mentioned.  Thanks
for the tip.

What you said about the atom and its power consumption is interesting.
Laptops are also good from a power draw point of view.

Sincerely,

Ron