[ntp:questions] almost decided which new PPS GPS to buy

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Mon Mar 5 19:48:44 UTC 2012

On 3/5/2012 11:52 AM, David Lord wrote:
> Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
>> On 3/5/2012 9:45 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
>>> Note that there are two different pinouts common for this.  IIRC they
>>> all have the same mapping of motherboard header pin number to serial
>>> port pin number, but one numbers the header pins in rows and the other
>>> in columns.
>>>

>> Thanks for bringing that to my attention!  AARG!  Not yet ANOTHER non
>> standard connector.  I didn't know that.  Here's what the manual says
>> my motherboard com port connector looks like.  Each pin is an X:
>>
>> 9 X   X   X   X   X 1
>>       X   X   X   X 2
>>
>> 1 = DCD
>> 2 = Rx
>> etc.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me the right adapter to bring it out to the rear
>> panel.  I usually like to purchase on Amazon.
>
> It depends on your motherboard so you need to order the
> cable plug and D9 plug for that particular board. I usually
> find I have the correct combination but if not it's usually
> cheaper and quicker to make a suitable cable assembly.
>

> David

David,

Thanks for the data.  I've been doing some research on RS-232
connectors.  Ever since the year 2000 or so, I NEVER thought I'd be
fiddling with this technology again.  Oh well, whatever works I guess.

Here are some links for the pinout of the DB-9 serial connector.

http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/serial-port-db9.htm
http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/serial-cable-connections.htm
http://www.camiresearch.com/Data_Com_Basics/RS232_standard.html

The third one is the most detailed, and gives the pinouts for the PC
male connector (known as DTE or Data Terminal Equipment [if I recall
correctly]), and the modem female connector (known as DCE or Data
Communications Equipment [if I recall correctly]).  In this case, I'm
interested in the PC side or DTE.  That's what the first two links refer to.

Googling around for the motherboard connector provided these:

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-comp-hardware/serial-port-msi-rs480m2-il-motherboard-6129.html
http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm - Straight through wiring - 12"
http://www.pccables.com/07130.htm - Straight through wiring - 30"
http://www.pccables.com/07121.htm - Cross over wiring - 12"

Based on consulting my motherboard manual, I've determined that I need
the straight through wiring, so I'm buying the 30" model.

Sincerely,

Ron