[ntp:questions] got the Sure GPS on order, how do I program it

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 6 08:04:24 UTC 2012

"Ron Frazier (NTP)" <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote in message
news:4F557EAF.9000707 at c3energy.com...
> Hi all,
>
> OK, I went and ordered the Sure GPS board, cables, box, hardware, etc.
> I even bought a cheapie soldering station for $ 20.

I hope it has a suitably fine tip, otherwise it's back to Bill's TTL
version of the modifications!

> Other than the mechanical setup which I can figure out and the patches
> which David Taylor has documented, I need to know how to program the
> unit when it comes.
>
> Specifically, can someone tell me how to:
>
> * change the baud rate
> * change which sentences are output
> * change the update interval
> * enable waas, if that matters for timing
> * set fixed location mode, if available
> * restore nav mode
> * do a warm restart
> * do a cold restart
> * do a reset to factory defaults
> * save the settings to flash or backup memory so I don't lose them when
> it's powered off
> * if possible, output only the GPZDA sentence
>
> * Any other magic you think I should know.
>
> The manual seems to be missing most of these details.  As always, any
> help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

The Sure Electronics unit works directly plugged into a serial port with
USB for power only.  I have not found any need to alter any of the
parameters you mention - it just sits there and works.

With respect, I suggest getting the unit working in basic serial mode
first, and only then trying to do the more complex things.  Bill has
pointed you to the manual, and there are download details and screen-shots
about modifying the serial baud rate on my Web page:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Sure-GPS.htm

Cheers,
David