[ntp:questions] got the Sure GPS on order, how do I program it

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Mar 7 00:20:22 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-06, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 3/5/2012 10:04 PM, Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> OK, I went and ordered the Sure GPS board, cables, box, hardware, etc. I
>> even bought a cheapie soldering station for $ 20. Other than the
>> mechanical setup which I can figure out and the patches which David
>> Taylor has documented, I need to know how to program the unit when it
>> comes.
>>
>> Specifically, can someone tell me how to:
>>
>> * change the baud rate
>> * change which sentences are output
>> * change the update interval
>> * enable waas, if that matters for timing
>> * set fixed location mode, if available
>> * restore nav mode
>> * do a warm restart
>> * do a cold restart
>> * do a reset to factory defaults
>> * save the settings to flash or backup memory so I don't lose them when
>> it's powered off
>> * if possible, output only the GPZDA sentence
>>
>> * Any other magic you think I should know.
>>
>> The manual seems to be missing most of these details. As always, any
>> help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>

> The fact that the manual is missing details could be explained in at
> least two ways:
> 1. You can't change the baud rate, select sentences, etc, etc.
> 2. The author of the manual thinks the "how to" is obvious!
>
> Good luck.  I'm afraid the you will need it!

Or 3. Sure does not consider manuals a top (or even bottom) priority,
and puts out the bare minimum needed for the user to get it to work.

I went through the full list of commands in teh Transcend manual on my
Sure, and determined that almost all of them work. Ie, the Sure manyual
is not exhaustive.