[ntp:questions] got the Sure GPS on order, how do I program it

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Wed Mar 7 03:34:27 UTC 2012

On 3/6/2012 6:15 AM, Terje Mathisen wrote:
> Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> OK, I went and ordered the Sure GPS board, cables, box, hardware, etc. I
>> even bought a cheapie soldering station for $ 20. Other than the
>> mechanical setup which I can figure out and the patches which David
>> Taylor has documented, I need to know how to program the unit when it
>> comes.
>>
>> Specifically, can someone tell me how to:
>>
>> * change the baud rate
>> * change which sentences are output
>> * change the update interval
>> * enable waas, if that matters for timing
>> * set fixed location mode, if available
>> * restore nav mode
>> * do a warm restart
>> * do a cold restart
>> * do a reset to factory defaults
>> * save the settings to flash or backup memory so I don't lose them when
>> it's powered off
>> * if possible, output only the GPZDA sentence
>>
>> * Any other magic you think I should know.
>
> I wrote a program to do exactly what you want, I think I posted a link
> to the source code and (windows) executable.
>
> If you can't find it, email me.
>
> Terje

Hi Terje,

(Anyone can answer.)

I found this old message from April by you.  Here's part of it.

quote on ->

I.e. the proper programming setup seems to be:

1: Listen to incoming chars.

2: After a CRLF sequence, start a timer: If a new char arrives within
less than 40 ms, goto 1.

3: Send '0', start timer waiting for CD to drop.

4: If CD drops before any new chars arrive, we are ready to send our
command, so send it out before the 100 ms gps timeout.

<- quote off

So, here's my question.  Based on your comments, the Sure board is
using, and driving the CD line for it's own purposes.  So, if we're
soldering a wire to the CD line on the RS-232 connector, aren't we going
to be in conflict with the boards own functions?

Sincerely,

Ron