[ntp:questions] Leap second indication (Linux NTPD specifically)

Phil Fisher Phil.Fisher at ipaccess.com
Wed Mar 7 09:13:22 UTC 2012

Hi Dave

Your comments on my semantics appreciated -- clearly I should put in the kernel version :-)
Certainly looking on the various Net sources suggests that it is printk of the Leap Second indication that causes the fault ... but good news that there is not another NTP related bug I had missed.

Your ideas in your final paragraphs are interesting so I/we shall look further.  One thing we have considered that may be helpful even if more of a hack than anything else is to use adjtimex() as suggested by a previous responder.  If my supposition that there is "memory" of LI then we can try to clear this via a call to adjtimex() -- I.e. the LI bits in status structure member.  That way we can ensure (once NTP is off) that no LI is set.

I shall certainly try to keep people updated if it is of benefit to the gurus on this list (which I doubt).

Thanks (and for the anti-groveler earlier poster, I am now upright)
Phil