[ntp:questions] got the Sure GPS on order, how do I program it

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Wed Mar 7 17:02:21 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-07, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:DJednS0r8uLr8svSnZ2dnUVZ_s-dnZ2d at giganews.com...
> []
>> The fact that the manual is missing details could be explained in at
>> least two ways:
>> 1. You can't change the baud rate, select sentences, etc, etc.
>> 2. The author of the manual thinks the "how to" is obvious!
>>
>> Good luck.  I'm afraid the you will need it!
>
> The chipset commands are already documented by the chipset manufacturer.

Yes. In documents labeled "Secret" and "Proprietary" and unavailable
without happening to know that for example the Transcend chipset is the
same as the Sure, and that the commands there also work on the Sure (
well almost all of them). That would be a pretty poor excuse if it were
given by the manufacturer.

> No need to reproduce them in an evaluation board manual.  For NTP, the
> Sure board works out of the box, no further programming is needed, just
> connections.

Except for timing purposes the user might not want the 8 lines of output
that the sure delivers by default. They might only want one of them. If
the device is run at 4800 bd instead of the default 9600 those lines
might be too many for example.

While it is true that the device does work out of the box, one might
want to change things, and for that a manual is crucial.