[ntp:questions] got the Sure GPS on order, how do I program it

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Mar 7 18:16:12 UTC 2012

"unruh" <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote in message
news:xwM5r.8980$X%7.6721 at newsfe01.iad...
> On 2012-03-07, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid>
> wrote:
[]
>> The chipset commands are already documented by the chipset
>> manufacturer.
>
> Yes. In documents labeled "Secret" and "Proprietary" and unavailable
> without happening to know that for example the Transcend chipset is the
> same as the Sure, and that the commands there also work on the Sure (
> well almost all of them). That would be a pretty poor excuse if it were
> given by the manufacturer.

It isn't a Sure chip that's on the board - it's a Skylab SKG16B.  Complain
to Skylab not Sure if you can't find the programming data.

>> No need to reproduce them in an evaluation board manual.  For NTP, the
>> Sure board works out of the box, no further programming is needed, just
>> connections.
>
> Except for timing purposes the user might not want the 8 lines of output
> that the sure delivers by default. They might only want one of them. If
> the device is run at 4800 bd instead of the default 9600 those lines
> might be too many for example.

But the device comes set at 9600 baud, and works perfectly on NTP!  Your
serial port works at 9600 baud with a simple NTP configuration command.
You're making issues where (for NTP) they don't exist.

> While it is true that the device does work out of the box, one might
> want to change things, and for that a manual is crucial.

Helpful, certainly, but not crucial.  You can just the program kindly
provided by one of the helpful, regular posters here, Terje Mathisen.
Play!  Have fun!  Enjoy discovering the device!

Cheers,
David