[ntp:questions] got the Sure GPS on order, how do I program it

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Mar 8 07:58:44 UTC 2012

"Chris Albertson" <albertson.chris at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:CABbxVHuTF=J_oCmDFfVM-
[]
> It _is_ fair to blame Sure Electronic.  They selected the chip.  If
> they selected one with poor documentation it's them who did that.
> They could have picked some other chip with better docs.

If you want an evaluation board for a different chip, surely you would buy
a different board?

> That is one reason I like the Motorola brand and the Trimble brand or
> even Rockwell GPSes.   They have first rate docs written in the USA by
> real technical writers speak English as their native language.
> (Actually I'd buy the Sure stuff if it saved me a ton of money or
> worked better.)

For NTP, Chris, what aspect of performance is inadequate?

> But on the other hand, the Sure GPS works well enough if you can build
> a custom serial/PPS cable and then just turn it on.  You don't need to
> know how it works if you are using it only for NTP.
>
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

No special cable needed, just one or two extra links on the board.  I see
it as a very low-cost solution which is adequate for the job in hand.  The
sub-microsecond level performance of higher-cost solutions isn't required
for NTP.

Anyone wanting a no soldering solution could get the ready adapted GPS 18x
LVC, at a somewhat higher price.

Cheers,
David