[ntp:questions] Peer Review of ntpq -c rv

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Mar 8 13:40:05 UTC 2012

> My system with Sure GPS and PPS :
> ident            mean    rms    max
> 127.127.22.2    0.000  0.004  0.030
>
> The 30 usec offsets are during the morning at time the
> system logs are created and rotated.
>
> I'll try to insulate the xtal when I next have to move
> the pc but I don't know that the blips in offset are
> caused by increase in temperature.
>

> David

My offset excursions are almost certainly temperature-related:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_pixie.php

happening at the time when the central heating comes on!  The are no
regular tasks run on that PC.  On my Windows PCs, I use SpeedFan to
monitor various temperatures (disk, CPU).  I also have some very cheap
external temperature probes which work over USB for external temperature
and humidity:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_disk_temp.php
  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_air_temp.php

Sensors: