[ntp:questions] what does meinberg graph of peerstats file mean

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Thu Mar 8 20:40:26 UTC 2012

On 3/8/2012 2:39 PM, Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
> On 3/8/2012 1:42 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
>> "Ron Frazier (NTP)" <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote in
>> message news:4F58EEC2.2070502 at c3energy.com...
>> []
>>> Double click on a peerstats file that's in the same directory.  It
>>> will produce a graph.  I'm just not totally sure what it means.
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Ron
>>
>> It means nothing.  The program deals with loopstats data, as I
>> suggested.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David
>
> I wouldn't say it means nothing.  It appears to be going through every
> line in the log file and graphing the offset from each server from my
> system clock as time goes by.  That could have some value.  It lets me
> know how far out I am from the internet servers over time.  Many lines
> in the peerstats file represent my GPS, so deviations away from that
> baseline are what the internet servers are doing relative to me.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

I have confirmed experimentally by modifying the contents of the
peerstats file, that if you feed a peerstats file to the Meinburg time
server monitor statistics graphing screen, you get the following.

This page defines the statistics files.

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/monopt.html

The RED graph, which is normally clock offset, is still clock offset.
In the peerstats file, it comes from column 5.

The BLUE graph, which is normally frequency, becomes round trip delay.
In the peerstats file, it comes from column 6.

I still haven't figured totally what to do with it, but you could use
some batch commands like this to manipulate the file.

This command will remove all references to my local clock and put what's
left in peerstats.remote.  Feed this file to Meinburg to graph the
offsets of every remote server, all together, over time.

type peerstats.20120308 | find /v "127.127.20.5" > peerstats.remote

This command will extract all references to a specific server and put
those lines in peerstats.specific.  Feed this file to Meinburg to graph
the offsets of this remote server over time.

type peerstats.20120308 | find "207.200.81.113" > peerstats.specific

This command will extract all references to the local gps clock and put
those in peerstats.gps.  Feed this file to Meinburg to graph the offsets
of the local clock.  Graphing loopstats will do the same thing if that
was always the selected clock.

type peerstats.20120308 | find "127.127.20.5" > peerstats.gps

Sincerely,

Ron