[ntp:questions] Offset Average (Normal)?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 13 15:54:23 UTC 2012

> Okay. My whole understanding of NTP and Clocks is now
> becoming clearer. My apologies, I'm still a n00b.
>
> So what you are saying is the GPS time via the SureGPS
> device is now being ignored and the time of my machine is
> now being held in check by the PPS signal? If yes, does
> that mean seeing "oGPS_NMEA" is better than seeing
> "*GPS_NMEA"?

The second number comes from the NMEA, the edge from the PPS, and hence
"o".

> Since I can't find any docs on deciphering the ntpq output,
> I'm trying to understand what the symbols next to each
> entry represent. Some I've found, but maybe you could
> correct me:
>
> o = ???
> * = ??? (My Assumption: preferred time server)
> x = ??? (My Assumption: False Tick - Bad Time)
> + = ??? (My Assumption: Next Best Server for Time)
> - = ??? (My Assumption: Ignore this useless server)
>

> ** Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to educate myself on being
> time master too. :)

You will find the tally codes listed here, Alby:

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/decode.html#peer

as Select Field.  I got that from Google, entering ""ntp billboard fields"
and finding the page:

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpq.html

Cheers,
David