[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Tue Mar 13 16:52:49 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I just woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.  Prior to the error, with my
PC locked into the GPS and the internet servers noselected, here's what
my peerstats looked like.  Baseline is the GPS.  Colored lines are
internet servers.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting01-peerstats.20120312.jpg

Here is what was showing on the Meinberg Time Server Monitor when I woke up:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting02a%20-%20insane.jpg

And the graph of the peerstats for that time:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting02b%20-%20peerstats%20insane.jpg

The clock error was REAL, as confirmed by my atomic wrist watch.

However, the loopstats graph for the same time period shows no problem
with the GPS:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting02c%20-%20gps%20NOT%20insane.jpg

So, I shut down NTPD and reset the time with a batch file that calls
ntpdate and querys the New York NIST server:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting02d%20-%20set%20with%20ntpdate.jpg

Here is the time server monitor shortly after NTPD restart:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting02e%20-%20shortly%20after%20ntpd%20restart.jpg

And after a 2nd restart:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting02f%20-%202nd%20ntpd%20restart%20after%20insane.jpg

And here are the current peerstats, which look normal.  The offset to
the internet servers tends to drift and will eventually cross the zero
line and get positive.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting02g%20-%20peerstats%20after%20insane%20and%202nd%20reset.jpg

The GPS appears to have been stable all through this, and was never
powered off or unplugged.  It looks like NTPD went crazy and reset my
clock for some reason.

Here are the peerstats and loopstats during the insane period.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120313-1-restart%20around%201350%20utc
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/peerstats.20120313-1-insane

Here is my current ntp.conf:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/ntp.conf

My system is Windows 7, NTP 4.2.7p259, GPS GlobalSat BU-353 USB NMEA
only with GPGGA sentence at 57,600 baud.

If anyone can shed some light on what happened, please do.  It's driving
me bonkers.  I don't believe the GPS is at fault, and I suspect NTPD.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Ron