[ntp:questions] Offset Average (Normal)?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 13 17:58:08 UTC 2012

> Thanks David and Ron. That weblink was just what I needed.
> It looks like I've now got everything working correctly.
> At last check the offset was: 0.000001427 vs.
> -0.015715484 24/hrs earlier from the peerstats info.
>

> I think I might tweek down David's GetNTPus.pl
> script even more than 100us (previously: 12000us)
> since everything is now hovering around 1us - 2us.

My script is now +/- 20 microseconds (with a +20 microsecond bias).  One
problem you will find is that with numbers this small, MRTG's rounding (or
something) doesn't quite work correctly, resulting in the "droop" you see
over the year.

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/pixie_ntp.html

With the log (modulus (offset)) format you have you're probably seeing all
the detail there is.  NTP will have to start reporting with a better
precision than three decimal places of milliseconds.  Perhaps it's time to
look for a new variable.  You have the script source, of course.

Cheers,
David