[ntp:questions] Offset Average (Normal)?

Alby VA albyva at empire.org
Tue Mar 13 19:01:56 UTC 2012

On Mar 13, 1:58 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-
tay... at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> > Thanks David and Ron. That weblink was just what I needed.
> > It looks like I've now got everything working correctly.
> > At last check the offset was: 0.000001427 vs.
> > -0.015715484 24/hrs earlier from the peerstats info.
>
> > I think I might tweek down David's GetNTPus.pl
> > script even more than 100us (previously: 12000us)
> > since everything is now hovering around 1us - 2us.
>
> > URL:http://godzilla.empire.org
>
> My script is now +/- 20 microseconds (with a +20 microsecond bias).  One
> problem you will find is that with numbers this small, MRTG's rounding (or
> something) doesn't quite work correctly, resulting in the "droop" you see
> over the year.
>
>  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/pixie_ntp.html
>
> With the log (modulus (offset)) format you have you're probably seeing all
> the detail there is.  NTP will have to start reporting with a better
> precision than three decimal places of milliseconds.  Perhaps it's time to
> look for a new variable.  You have the script source, of course.
>
> Cheers,
> David

 I have the perl script of your tool for MRTG, but I assume you are
asking
about getting more detail from offset=0.000 when it runs (ntpq -c rv)?
Maybe a few more decimal places? That recoding is beyond my
expertise. I'm just a LAN/WAN guru. Programming/Coding was never
my strong suit.