[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Tue Mar 13 22:19:22 UTC 2012

On 3/13/2012 5:01 PM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
BlackLists wrote:
> Ron Frazier (NTP) wrote:
>
>> I put the following in ntp.conf to allow the clock to coast in local
>> mode if the GPS goes insane.
>> # Allow system to coast on local clock if GPS is insane
>> server 127.127.1.1 minpoll 3 maxpoll 6  # LCL, local clock
>> fudge  127.127.1.1 stratum 12           # increase stratum
>>
> I can't see how that will make any difference
>   if the GPS is still selected,
>   as your meinberg billboard seemed to indicate.
> <http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/drifting02a%20-%20insane.jpg>
>
> ... and you would likely be better off using orphan than local clock,
>   (not that it would make any diff if the GPS was still selected).

At that time, I had the GPS as the only selectable clock, for testing.
I'm monitoring the internet servers for comparison.  I've since selected
1 NIST server as the preferred and only selectable clock, and am
monitoring the GPS and other internet clocks for comparison.

My thinking was simply that if all the available clocks vanished
(internet down), or the GPS went insane, I just want the system to coast
on its internal clock until a viable clock source returns.  I figure it
may gain or lose up to 10 ms / minute this way, but at least it
shouldn't do anything radical like jumping 50 seconds.

I looked at the docs page for the "orphan" command for a few minutes and
my eyes just glazed over.  I decided to try the local clock option
instead for now.

Sincerely,

Ron