[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed Mar 14 06:46:39 UTC 2012

> Hi David,
>
> OK, you've convinced me.  I've put noselect on the GPS and taken it away
> on the New York NIST server.  The NY NIST server is now preferred and
> polling from 1 - 4 minutes.  Hopefully they won't ban me for hitting it
> too often.  I think the NIST server will have more jitter, particularly
> as the polling interval increases, but we'll see what happens.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

It will be interesting to see what difference that makes, Ron, and I look
forward to seeing the graphs.

Personally, I saw little to choose between the various Internet servers
you had, and I would have allowed four or five to be selected rather than
just one, as that would not then leave NTP open to failure of the one
server, and it would allow NTP to select what It believes to be the best.

Cheers,
David