[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Wed Mar 14 19:02:14 UTC 2012

On 3/14/2012 12:35 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
> "Ron Frazier (NTP)" <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote in message
> news:4F60BC0C.8040307 at c3energy.com...
> []
>> OK.  Here are the loopstats from another computer for 7 days (in the
>> chart).  I don't have any peerstats for it.  It has the same server
>> list.  One is preferred.  All servers are active.  Performance is no
>> better.
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/TAZ%20loopstats%202012-03-07%20to%202012-03-14.jpg
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/ntp.conf-TAZ
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120313-TAZ
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120314-TAZ
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Ron
>
> That's horrible, Ron!  Much worse than David Lord reports.  It makes
> me want to ask a number of questions:

Hi David T,

NOW .... you understand.

I have 4 PC's connected to the LAN, plus my wife's work computer 3 days
/ week, and on rare occasions my son's computer.  All are connected by
wifi.  All do pretty mundane things: web browser, email, sometimes
downloading patches, sometimes doing online backup.  My 4 are running
NTPD.  3 run windows most of the time and dual boot into linux.  My 4th
machine runs linux all the time.  When my wife is here, she does a
remote desktop type of thing into her work system.  Two of my PC's are
running Vista, one is running Windows 7.  Those three dual boot into
Ubuntu 11.04 and the always linux machine runs Ubuntu 11.04.  Almost all
the discussions I've had on this mailing list are for my Windows 7 machine.

The path out of my house is:

PC Wifi --> Wifi router --> wired router --> cable modem --> ISP -- internet

> - is this PC connected over wireless or wired?

Wifi G

> - what else is going through the router?  Someone else downloading
> large files or using streaming audio or video?

See above.  Normally, no huge data hogs.

> - who else might be sharing your connection?

It's cable.  Who knows?  I also get cable TV and telephone through the
same wire.

> - what type of service do you have?  Presumably not dial-up!  But what
> speed?

Comcast Cable

Just tested it with speedtest.net
      Ping to near city: 91 ms, Download: 29.63 Mbps, Upload: 5.3 Mbps

> - having checked you speed, would you describe your connection as
> "stable"?

See above for speed.  Generally, it's very stable.  However, for the
purposes we're discussing, I think it's latencies and delays that are
the problem.

As I mentioned in my reply to David L, I'm not concerned over trying to
get stellar performance from internet servers.  I just want to get a
good GPS server system running and use the internet servers as a backup.

Sincerely,

Ron