[ntp:questions] Sure gps looses all sattelite fixes

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 05:50:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM, David J Taylor
<david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "unruh" <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote in message
> news:wf78r.33384$kv1.26206 at newsfe03.iad...
> []
>>
>> Just wanted to report here. I switched the antennae on the two Sure GPS
>> I have. Both worked fine for about 4 days, and suddenly the antenna that
>> had failed before failed again-- no sattelites found.
>> So, I am sure it is the antenna that is failing.
>>
>> Sure has said that they will send me a new one, but it has not arrived
>> yet.
>

> I've had this happen with GPS antennas from UK suppliers as well.  They are
> consumer level items, so the odd failure is not unknown.  The supplier
> replaced the item without question, although they may wanted the failed unit
> back.

Look at item 180518378555 on eBay.  These are very well built and not
expensive.   They mount to a 3/4 inch iron pipe flange with four
machine screws.

Inside the plastic radome is a helix antenna and an RF amp.   The
pointed shape keeps birds, ice and whatever off the antenna.   There
is an o-ring seal between the radome and the aluminum base plate  The
cable and it's connector can fit inside a waterproof 3/4 inch pipe.
I'd expect it to last for decades, or until struck by lightening.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California