[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Thu Mar 15 13:35:19 UTC 2012

Hi Rick,

Interesting thought.  It's Windows 7.  I don't know what it's time
source is in technical terms, but it's a standard installation.  I've
got pretty much all the power management stuff turned off.  The computer
is set to never stand by or shut down when it's plugged into an AC
outlet.  Just on a whim, I went into control panel and set the minimum
cpu frequency on AC power to 100 % rather than 20 %, so the system won't
throttle the CPU (unless it overheats or something).  I haven't seen any
obvious effects from the change.  I also don't know what that will do to
power consumption.  I know linux uses on demand processor frequency
scaling by default.

Yes, several people have mentioned the wifi thing.  It's just a curse I
have to live with at this time due to the physical configuration of my
network.  Maybe, in the future, I'll get a chance to do some testing
with wired connections.

Sincerely,

Ron