[ntp:questions] NTP, SNMP on FreeBSD 8.2

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Mar 15 14:04:10 UTC 2012

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:jjqdat$82m$1 at dont-email.me...
> Folks,
>
> I'm interested to know whether my install of NTP on FreeBSD 8.2 includes
> SNMP support or not.  If it doesn't, then I may try a recompile, but
> first:
>
> 1 - can anyone point me to the correct place to download the appropriate
> MIB?  I did find:
>
>  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ntp-ntpv4-mib-07
>
> but the MIB information is interspersed with page headers, and whilst I
> did try and edit it, I can't be sure it compiled, and hence a plain MIB
> would be preferable.  I did look elsewhere but only found Meinberg and
> Cisco MIBs which could be proprietary.
>
> 2 - In the absence of a properly compiled MIB, can anyone point me to a
> numeric OID which should be visible if NTP/SNMP is running?  Ideally,
> the OID corresponding to:
>
>  ntpq "-c rv 0 offset"
>
> I can then use GetIF (or whatever) to look for that OID from my FreeBSD
> ssytem.
>
> Thanks,
> David

OK, I found the MIB in the source distribution (as ntpv4-mib.mib, 15 Oct
2010), but it does not compile.  I get an error at line 525, which is the
SYNTAX line below.

Error message:

______________________________
ntpAssocAddressType OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX      InetAddressType { ipv4(1), ipv6(2), ipv4z(3), ipv6z(4) }
    MAX-ACCESS  read-only
    STATUS      current
    DESCRIPTION
        "The type of address of the association.  Can be either IPv4 or
         IPv6 (both with or without zone index) and contains the type of
         address for unicast, multicast, and broadcast associations."
    ::= { ntpAssociationEntry 4 }

Is this a bug, or a fault in my MIB compiler (GetIF 2.3.1)?

I'd still appreciate knowing the OID for:

  ntpq "-c rv 0 offset"

Thanks,
David