[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Mar 15 14:16:45 UTC 2012

"Ron Frazier (NTP)" <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote in message
news:4F61E4DF.4080602 at c3energy.com...
[]
> I mainly meant that operating conditions will vary the frequency of the
> oscillator.  Speaking of which, is there a way to run ntpd and have it
> NOT adjust the clock at all, but still generate stats files, so I can
> monitor the clock frequency just based on the computer usage and nothing
> else?

Pass.  What happens if everything is "noselect"?

> Can you elaborate on that power saving frequency thing?  Is that the
> thing in the control panel where you set the minimum and maximum cpu
> frequency?

Likely, yes, but it varies between computers, chip makers (under different
trade names), and BIOS makers.  For best timekeeping, you want no clock
speed variation.

[]
>>  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_bacchus.php
>
> Wow, if I'm reading that graph right in the last link, that cpu usage
> spike sent your clock variation from about 100 us to 4000 us.  That's
> amazing, and frustrating.

The offset went from zero, to approximately +1.2 milliseconds.  As MRTG
can't plot negative numbers (it was designed for network throughput), I
add 3.0 milliseconds to the reported offsets before plotting, as the left
axis label says.  So the range of the graph is +/- 3.0 milliseconds,
plotted as 0 to 6ms.

> I thought all 32 bit Windows had the same kernel.  You could try this
> defragger.  I've had good luck with it, but I'm not sure which older
> systems it works on.
>
> http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/
[]
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

Thanks for the suggestion, Ron, but that software, like most others, needs
XP or higher.  I actually use that program on one of my PCs, as it can
also be called from the command-line to defragment files or directories.

Cheers,
David