[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 21:21:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM, unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:

> Unfortunately it is not that simple. That rate changes by significan
> amounts. Thus the rate you get after a week may be very different than
> the rate you get after an hour. That, I submit, is the chief obstacle to
> having an accurate clock. And that change in rate does not fit with the
> "Allan variance" assumptions (the noise source is not of the type
> assumed)

You are right about that.  I was going to add in a bit about how to
pick the best time to look at the clock tower.  But left it out
because the point I was making was only that these things are not NTP
specific.   Details after that did not contribute the the main point.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California