[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Mar 17 15:19:28 UTC 2012

"John Hasler" <jhasler at newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:87sjh7mlqs.fsf at thumper.dhh.gt.org...
> David J Taylor writes:
>> But in the UK from Virgin Media I have 30 Mb/s down, 1 Mb/s up.  I
>> have been promised an upload speed increase about 18 months ago to 2
>> Mb/s up, which is more sensible...
>
> Such a very high cable download speed is a peak burst speeds on a shared
> medium.  Your sustained performance is not likely to be more than a
> fraction of it.

Speed tests from a number of sites show 30 Mb/s, and that's over several
seconds.  I downloaded the Windows-8 64-bit ISO recently, and the
3,583,707,136 bytes took 48 minutes, 24 seconds, which I make about 7.4
Mb/s, and the 32-bit ISO was 2,711,396,352 bytes in 27 minutes, so about
13.4 Mb/s.  That was without any download accelerator (no multiple
connections).

>> Not ideal, but I prefer cable to ADSL.
>
> You'd get less jitter with DSL.
> --
> John Hasler

DSL or ADSL?  But I haven't checked the jitter on the cable modem link for
a long time, since I installed the GPS receivers.

Thanks, John.

Cheers,
David