[ntp:questions] ARRGH!!! I woke up to a 50 SECOND clock error.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sat Mar 17 15:48:48 UTC 2012

> You'd get less jitter with DSL.
> --
> John Hasler

John,

You have piqued my interest.  I have just set up a Windows-8 PC with an
ntp configuration not dissimilar to Ron's, in that it's using purely
Internet servers but trying to monitor a local stratum-1 server as well.
In essence:

______________________________
# Local stratum-1 Free BSD server
server 192.168.0.3  iburst  minpoll 5 maxpoll 5  prefer  noselect

# Seven external servers:
server  x.x.x.uk  iburst
server  y.y.y.uk  iburst
server  0.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst
server  1.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst
server  2.uk.pool.ntp.org  iburst
server  0.nl.pool.ntp.org  iburst
server  1.nl.pool.ntp.org  iburst

The performance will appear here:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_torvik.php

It will be interesting to see whether the Internet servers poll period
increased from 64s (I'm hoping that the 32s poll on the local server won't
affect the Internet ones), and what level of jitter is achieved.

Cheers,
David