[ntp:questions] PSYCHO PC clock is advancing at 2 HR per second

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Tue Mar 20 01:59:25 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I just came home from supper to the most NOT charming experience.  I had
left with my PC clock syncing nicely to my Globalsat BU-353 GPS.  When I
came home, I found the clock said Aug 2014 and visually could see that
the clock was advancing at a rate of about 2 HR per actual second.  The
Meinberg screen said it was locked into the local clock and the Meinberg
screen appeared to be updating about twice per second rather than once
ever 10 seconds.  It said that the preferred clock was LOCL
127.127.1.1.  I don't know what the heck happened, but these anomalies
are getting really old.  Hopefully the Sure board will do better.  Oh,
by the way, I shut down NTPD and the clock kept advancing the same way.
2 reboots appear to have fixed it.  I've removed LOCL from the config
file.  Here are some links to some log and conf files if anyone is
interested.  Note the dates at the end.  I've got 1200 log files in
between these start and end dates.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/ntp.conf%20psycho%20clock

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120319-2-above-priority-gpgga96-poll-3-6%20psycho%20clock
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120320%20psycho%20clock