[ntp:questions] PSYCHO PC clock is advancing at 2 HR per second

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Mar 20 05:32:25 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-20, Ron Frazier (NTP) <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote:
> On 3/20/2012 12:09 AM, unruh wrote:
>> On 2012-03-20, Ron Frazier (NTP)<timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just came home from supper to the most NOT charming experience.  I had
>>> left with my PC clock syncing nicely to my Globalsat BU-353 GPS.  When I
>>> came home, I found the clock said Aug 2014 and visually could see that
>>> the clock was advancing at a rate of about 2 HR per actual second.  The
>>> Meinberg screen said it was locked into the local clock and the Meinberg
>>>
>> And you have local clock anywhere in the configuration why? It is dumb
>> as you have discovered.
>>

> I've been testing with everything noselected but the GPS, but still
> monitoring the internet servers.  I had hoped LOCL would allow the
> system to continue running gracefully, if not accurately, if the GPS
> went crazy.  I guess it didn't do that.  LOCL is now gone.

Of course the question still is why in the world did the system go nuts
when it was on Local. That itself should not have happened.

>>> screen appeared to be updating about twice per second rather than once
>>> ever 10 seconds.  It said that the preferred clock was LOCL
>>> 127.127.1.1.  I don't know what the heck happened, but these anomalies
>>> are getting really old.  Hopefully the Sure board will do better.  Oh,
>>> by the way, I shut down NTPD and the clock kept advancing the same way.
>>>
>> It sounds like the system has reset the timer interrupt advance.
>>

>>> 2 reboots appear to have fixed it.  I've removed LOCL from the config
>>> file.  Here are some links to some log and conf files if anyone is

>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120320%20psycho%20clock
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120321%20psycho%20clock
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120322%20psycho%20clock
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120323%20psycho%20clock