[ntp:questions] PSYCHO PC clock is advancing at 2 HR per second

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Mar 20 05:34:05 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-20, Ron Frazier (NTP) <timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave H,
>
> Thanks for the info and for looking into the issue.  I meant that the
> clock was psycho, not the PC.  The PC is normally very tame and
> cooperative, as cooperative as Windows gets anyway.  These GPS
> experiments have certainly brought several surprises though.
>
> I run both Windows and Ubuntu Linux, but in this case, the system is:
>
> Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1
> NTPD 4.2.7p259
>
> LOCL has been removed.  However, that brings up a question.  Since I'm
> doing tests with the internet clocks noselected (but still monitoring
> them), and the GPS is the only selectable clock, what happens if it
> becomes invalid?  The whole reason I put LOCL in there was to allow the
> machine to "coast" if the GPS signal became invalid.

It will coast on its own. There are millions of machines out there that
do not run ntpd and keep time reasonably well. They "coast" fine.

>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120320%20psycho%20clock
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120321%20psycho%20clock
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120322%20psycho%20clock
>>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/loopstats.20120323%20psycho%20clock