[ntp:questions] Any chance of getting bugs 2164 and 1577 moving?

David Malone dwmalone at walton.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Mar 20 15:59:36 UTC 2012

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> writes:

>Thanks, David.  Those don't seem to be in ntpq.c (at least 4.2.7p134), so
>no wonder I couldn't find them.

Ah - I'm looking at a slightly older verion (4.2.4p8), but I'd guess
there is similar code lurking.

>But if the control messages are limited
>to microseconds, this problem is deeper than I first thought.  I suppose
>that's saving on bandwidth by a few bytes?

I think the sending code might be in ntp_control.c - there seem to
be a bunch of variables that are sent with a fixed precision (search
for 1e3 or 1e6). My guess is that because a bunch of variables are
often packed into a UDP packet, a decision to keep them a modest
size was probably taken.

	David.