[ntp:questions] PSYCHO PC clock is advancing at 2 HR per second

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Tue Mar 20 18:59:00 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-20, David J Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> "unruh" <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote in message
> news:d13ar.7952$GV1.7243 at newsfe12.iad...
> []
>> It is really really hard to imagine any gps device doing that.
>
> Yes, I agree, and yet what just popped up in my mail box but a reference
> to:
>
>   "an inexplicable 1 second slip of 3 GPS based NTP time sources".
>
> I have, of course, asked for more details!

A one second slip I could understand-- eg Gamin 18x reporting over 1
second after the associated second would lead to that. But a computer
advancing at an hour per tick is way beyond that.
Perhaps the 1 second slip tickled a bug in ntp with the LOCL clock--
where the system then saw the GPS as a false ticker, went to LOCAL with
a bad rate, and compounded the rate error by some sort of runaway
process.