[ntp:questions] PSYCHO PC clock is advancing at 2 HR per second

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Wed Mar 21 14:56:17 UTC 2012

On 3/20/2012 8:27 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
> "Ron Frazier (NTP)"<timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 3/20/2012 5:48 PM, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
>> BlackLists wrote:

>>> What about power saving frequency management of the core
>>>    NTP is using?
>>>

>> I doubt that's relevant.  I currently have both min and max CPU speed
>> set to 100% as someone mentioned it before.
>>
> I forget - was that at the BIOS level or up in the OS?  If the latter,
> best check the BIOS too - for example, HP ProLiant systems (not sure
> about PCs but perhaps there too) have an automagically done by
> firmware power management mode...
>
> rick jones

My settings are at the Windows OS level.  There's the one where you can
set the maximum and minimum CPU speed as a percentage.  Both mine, on ac
power, are at 100%, which may increase power consumption, but which may
also make for more reliable timing.  I haven't proven that either way yet.

There's also a system cooling policy, which I have set to active.  That
means, increase the fan speed before slowing the processor.  I monitor
the system temperature, and I don't think it's been overheating.

Sincerely,

Ron