[ntp:questions] Any chance of getting bugs 2164 and 1577 moving?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Thu Mar 22 16:02:26 UTC 2012

"unruh" <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote in message
news:xLHar.38386$IQ1.34248 at newsfe18.iad...
[]
> Measure what? Why do you think that ntp reporting the offset with an
> extra three decimal points would allow you to measure anything? What in
> your mind would you expect to see in that output that would allow you to
> "measure" something that would tell you that the -19 was wrong? Remember
> ntpd DID measure something in order to determine that -19. What do you
> think the extra decimal places would give you?

Most likely I would be looking at a histogram of the reported offsets, and
see whether it was gaussian, flat, or whatever, and how wide.  I might
learn something from that.

Others have reported precisions better than -19, and also have a need for
greater reporting precision.

There seems to be an impression out there that I'm trying to show
something is wrong - I'm not.  I suggested an enhancement so that the
precision of ntpq matched that of the loopstats.  That's all.

David