[ntp:questions] YEA! My Sure Electronics GPS just arrived.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 01:10:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM, unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
> Sorry, just realised what you meant by "programming"-- change in baud
> rate, sentence delivery, etc. I use the default ( and use the PPS from
> the Sure for the actual timing via either the serial port (with
> pps_ldisc on linux) or with the parallel port and a special program I
> wrote to handle the parallel interrupt

The Linux PPS code now handles  parallel port.  You don't have to
write your own.   Also I think the PPS API was a way to add other
physical devices so there is no need for an ad-hoc solution.     Maybe
you need to upgrade to latest kernel to get this.

Oh, if the Sure GPS does loose the programming (It would be simple to
test) you can fit it by placing a battery across the power supply.  I
used a coin ell holder salvaged from a dead PC for one GPS I have and
AA cells work too.  But I bet the sure is new enough to use eprom or
flash.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California