[ntp:questions] YEA! My Sure Electronics GPS just arrived.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Mar 27 09:33:13 UTC 2012

> Hi David,
>
> See below.
[]
> That's a great tip about PNG files.  I never knew anything about them.

They replaced GIF files for many purposes, and not only do they have full
colour, they have better algorithms than GIF so may produce more compact
files.  IIRC the major reason for their existence was to bypass patents
which someone threatened to enforce.

> At this point, I don't know if I'll even try to sync the GPS with the
> internet servers, since I'm getting more accurate time from the GPS than
> I can from the internet.  I may change my mind if NTPD ends up clock
> hopping too much once I release the internet servers to run as a backup.
>
> I'm looking forward to playing with the real serial port on my other
> machine a bit.  I'm not quite finished testing the USB port on this
> laptop though.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Ron

Yes, with the DCD over emulated USB that's what I would expect - it should
beat most Internet connections.  You might well find no clock hopping at
all.  Recall, though that usually clock hopping is NTP working to give you
the best result from a selection of similar servers.  Having the Internet
servers even on minpoll=10 is a safety fallback.

Prepare for a pleasant surprise when using a hardware serial port.

Cheers,
David