[ntp:questions] ATOM falseticker with flag3 enabled

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Thu Mar 29 05:02:27 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 02:44, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> Without flag3 it appears that ntpd does the heavy lifting but is unable to
> use the PPS unless a prefer peer is set.  With flag3 enabled, PPS is running
> without a prefer peer.

Being unable to use the PPS unless either a prefer peer is set or
another knob is adjusted (see what I quoted earlier) is operating by
design.  The change in operation with flag3 1 seems likely to me to be
an ntpd bug, which is why I'd like to see a bug report filed.  Unless
I'm missing some design intention, it seems to me PPS should not
become reachable with no prefer peer regardless of flag3.

Cheers,
Dave Hart