[ntp:questions] OK - You told me so! Amazing Sure gps performance on real serial

Ron Frazier (NTP) timekeepingntplist at c3energy.com
Thu Mar 29 13:49:12 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I finally got around to attaching a serial cable to the motherboard
header on my desktop computer and attaching the Sure gps to it.  This
NTP+GPS has been a long and winding road, and has been much more
difficult to get a handle on than I anticipated, including ordering a
number of parts and waiting what felt like eternity to get them.
Watched pot never boils, etc.

WOW!  I'm blown away as I'm now getting + / - 50 MICROSECOND
performance.  Yes, I know, old hat to you guys, but still news to me.  I
can't believe decades old comm technology works so much better than
modern comm technology.

Still, I wanted to wring out the maximum performance on USB since 3 of
my 4 computers don't have serial.  I eventually got around + / - 1ms,
which is pretty good considering the system limitations of USB.

Unfortunately, my poor laptop has now been demoted to running with only
stratum 2 internet servers.  It's doing ok, and in fact, is better since
I have interpolation on.  However it's only making + / - approx 20 ms.
Also, what's bugging me is that there seems to be a continuous 20 ms
offset from zero.  This is certainly good enough for running from a
backup time source, but still confusing.  While I wanted to let the
internet servers be polled as much as 2 hours apart, I eventually
settled on letting them go back to the default polling intervals of 6
(64 seconds) to 10 (1024 seconds) to minimize offset fluctuations
between polling on the computer currently without the gps.  One problem
with having these intervals on the computer with the gps, is that the
polling interval gets continuously clamped to 64 seconds, which is
enough to get me banned from polling some systems.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/laptop%20internet%20ntp%202012-03-29.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9879631/ntp.conf%20laptop%20internet%20ntp%202012-03-29

Eventually, I hope to have the desktop computer set up as a local time
server.  Before I do that, I have to configure all the other systems
like the laptop I was originally experimenting on, and figure out what
to do with firewalls and changing ip addresses via dhcp.

Sincerely,

Ron