[ntp:questions] Leap Second testing

Thu May 10 21:08:21 UTC 2012

On 3/6/2012 2:28 AM, Phil Fisher wrote:
> I would appreciate help since we need to cover the scenario where our
> 2.6.9 Linux kernel
> may crash/hang when a leap Second insert occurs (due to the printk bug).
>
> Some context to avoid repetitive simple answers along lines of upgrade XYZ:
> * we cannot move to the later 2.6.29 kernel for commercial reasons
> * we have an old NTP implementation:
> ntpd: ntpd 4.2.0a at 1.1190-r Mon Oct 11 09:10:20 EDT 2004

  REHL 4 Linux kernel 2.6.9  , circa 2004 Oct
         Linux kernel 2.6.29 , circa 2009 Mar-Jul
                   NTP 4.2.0 , circa 2003 Oct

On 5/9/2012 1:44 AM, Phil Fisher wrote:
> Hi folks
> I was using ntptime to set the status bits for a system running a server
> (Centos 5, ntpd 4.2.2p1).
>  This allowed me to set the LI indicator and apparently to clear it.

  RHEL 5 Linux kernel 2.6.18 , circa 2006 Sept
                 NTP 4.2.2p1 , circa 2006 Jul

While I understand you may not be allowed to update your
  production systems to a current kernel and current ntp;

 Have you tried current versions on a test system,
  to see if the issue has already been fixed?

  Then you could just research the changes,
   and see if you could make your system avoid? the issue
    until you can upgrade to a version that no longer has the issue.

  RHEL 6 Linux kernel 2.6.32 , circa 2009 Dec
         Linux kernel 3.3.5  , circa 2012 May
                 NTP 4.2.6p5 , circa 2011 Dec
               NTP 4.2.7p275 , circa 2012 Apr

  will be added to the BlackLists.