[ntp:questions] outout of ntpq -p

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Tue May 22 18:11:51 UTC 2012

unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
> What is the issue? What do you need help for and why? Is it
> aesthetic?  V6 addresses are too long for the V4 space alloted to
> addresses in the output, so they are truncated. But why is this a
> problem?

I cannot speak for the OP, but it would seem that any two NTP servers
who's IPv6 address prefixes share the same upper 24 or 28 bits (give
or take) will be indistinguishable in the output of ntpq -p. Two
ranodm IPv6's from the broader Internet may not share the same prefix
but within any organization, I suspect it is highly likely that two
IPv6 addresses will have the same values in those bits.

rick jones