[ntp:questions] offline machines' time synchronization

Dave Hart hart at ntp.org
Thu May 24 18:50:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Ali Nikzad <nikzad.a at gmail.com> wrote:
> For introducing as direct peer, do I need to add like:
> peer 192.168.17.22 ?

That would configure a symmetric mode association.  You could go that
way, but I'd stay in the more familiar client/server territory if I
were you.

> ntpq -c "rv 0 version" output :
>
> assID=0 status=c011 sync_alarm, sync_unspec, 1 event, event_restart,
> version="ntpd 4.2.4p8 at 1.1612-o Tue Apr 19 07:08:18 UTC 2011 (1)"

I wouldn't suggest relying on orphan mode if any of the participants
are limited to such an old version of ntpd.  See the ChangeLog in
ntp-dev[1] for details, but there have been a lot of substantial
fixes, including to orphan mode, since 4.2.4p8.

> BTW, I didn't quite get what you mean by:  "automatic server discovery
> scheme in mesh configuration" ?

See [2] for the current ntp-dev documentation of automatic server
discovery schemes.  I meant a fully-meshed configuration, which is to
say every participating ntpd directly associates with every other,
which is required by orphan mode.

[1] http://bk.ntp.org/ntp-dev/ChangeLog?PAGE=anno&REV=4fb1f888uelz5JfeRsmBCokcebgTGg
[2] http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/discover.html

Cheers,