[ntp:questions] Have Pi, have GPS = low powered NTP server?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Wed May 30 13:15:27 UTC 2012

> Hi.
>
> From the title, you might (maybe) guess this is about the Raspberry Pi,
> and NTP.
>
> I've only had the thing a few days, but been experimenting (playing)
> with the default NTP behaviour as seen with ntpq -p on the command line.
[]
> It's said, that the RasPi, has about the same cpu "grunt" as a 300MHz
> Pentium, but I have no way to qualify that statement.
[]
> At present, this is all at the "it'd be good if it could be done" state.
> As if I don't have too many other projects on the go at this time.
>

> Comments, brickbats, bouquet's etc.
>
> Regards.
>
> Dave B (G0WBX)

Dave,

A small box like that would make a nice NTP server if it can be done.  The
only (very small) contribution I can make is that for some time I ran NTP
with GPS on a Pentium 133 MHz with 48 MB of memory using FreeBSD, so you
CPU-grunt is at least adequate.  Rebuilding the kernel to add PPS support
was an overnight job, though!

[Although the two jitters of 180 milliseconds in your ntpq -p billboard is
not encouraging!]

Cheers,
David GM8ARV