[ntp:questions] Do I have a lock to my NMEA GPS?

Ralph Aichinger ralph at pangea.at
Fri Nov 9 16:57:40 UTC 2012

Is this OK for a consumer NMEA GPS without PPS (eTrex) and on a
jittery USB to serial converter at 4800 Baud?

ntpq> peers
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*GPS_NMEA(0)     .GPS.            0 l   10   64  377    0.000  -87.300 113.691

I don't want to keep time with this, just check if the hardware works.
The asterisk in front says I am locked, and hardware is working, does it?

TIA
/ralph -- a decent PPS GPS will be next